Saturday, October 16, 2010

Much Needed Update

The Cone household has been very busy since school started this fall. Between crowd control duties, parent meetings, and commitee responsibilities, Brandon and I have also started a custom woodworking business. Check out Cone's Custom Creations website here. Brandon really does most of the work, and he does a really nice job too. I am just helping by making the felt bags for the custom cribbage boards he makes.

Our days are very full. We leave the house by 7am every week day, drop the kids off and are in our classrooms from 7:15-3:30 (at least). Pick up the kids, come home, cook dinner, bath time, bed time, and if we are lucky, we might have an hour to unwind before bed. I can't imagine how parents who work till 5 do it. I have a hard enough time leaving my kiddos for my day knowing that I will be with them again before 4.

Sundays are football days at our house. Brandon and Brad are in the same fantasy football league and are glued to the TV and their laptops all day. The kids hang out, usually together, while I try and keep caught up with chores. It is adorable when the a team scores a touchdown. Both Aiden and Madi raise their hands up high signaling "Touchdown".

Madison still likes to "help out" around the house. She will often carry around the broom pretending to sweep, or insist on carrying a diaper to the trash. One day Madison was playing in our bedroom and I didn't really think anything of it. After the kids were in bed, I went into our bathroom to take a shower, nearly tripping on a pile of my shoes. Madison had thrown every pair of my shoes from the rack over the gate into our bathroom. It was a pretty funny surprise, and gave me a chance to reorganize my shoe rack.

Labor Day weekend, our friends Tony and Elizabeth got married at Sylvan Lake in the Black Hills of South Dakota (right by Custer). Grammy and Grampa Hitt and the four of us loaded up into their RV for the weekend. We left Gillette around 5 pm on Friday and headed straight for the campground. After getting just a little turned around, (which is interesting in a RV on the curvy roads) we found our campsite and unpacked our suitcases. It was at this point when I asked Brandon where he put our suitcase that we realized it was still in our room in Gillette...3 hours away.

Luckily, the girls had there own suitcase so we had diapers, clothes, and pj's for them. So Saturday, Mom and I loaded up the girls and drove to Rapid City to buy clothes for Brandon and I to wear for the rest of the weekend. When we got to Custer, we had two choices for the route to Rapid. Mom told me to go left, so we did.

Two hours later...we were still not even to Mount Rushmore. The speed limit on this section of highway is 35 mph and I was lucky if I could go that fast. Switchbacks, complete corkscrews and one-lane bridges marked the "scenic route" to Rapid. Finally we made it to Rapid, ran through Target and Sonic, and headed back to Custer to pick up the guys from their golfing trip. (They weren't expecting us to take all day...so they ended up playing 27 holes...they were pretty sore the next day!)

Just a note...it took us less than an hour to make it back to Custer. We took the other route back. For future reference...turn right!

It was a beautiful day for a wedding and the kids were awesome. It was on the shore of the lake. The bridesmaids and bride arrived via horse and carriage. The lake made an awesome backdrop for the ceremony, which was very nicely done. Instead of lighting a unity candle, the couple poured colored sand into a common jar. I really liked the symbolism of the sand.

This is my favorite picture of the ceremony that Brandon took. We really enjoy spending time with Tony and Elizabeth, and it was great to see them begin their lives together. Congratulations, you two.

Other than that, our lives have been filled with school, working on the pole barn, which is now finished on the outside, building Brandon's business, and playing with our beautiful little girls. Brad and Amber are still living with us, which is wonderful. It is so nice to have another set of parents for our three kids. (We all consider ourselves to have three kids, there are just four parents :) )

I hope to be better about posting. Hopefully, life will start to have a routine again. I can't believe we are only three weeks away from parent-teacher conferences. Every year seems to go by faster and faster...only 26 more years till I can retire...

No comments: